Well, I am a firm believer that we don’t require special days to use our common sense. However, general perception is that unless a fancy is attached with a cause, no one will notice. Given this premise, on this august occasion of world environment day, I have a few thoughts / suggestions on how we can do our bit to the environment, which in turn feeds back into us.
1. Thou SHALL enable e-statements for all Bank, Credit Card, Mutual Fund and any other financial transactions.
2. Thou SHALL NOT take a print of transaction in an ATM unless absolutely necessary (like an outstation different bank ATM just for safety)
3. Thou SHALL plant atleast 2 plants in a pot whether it’s an independent / rented house or apartment. A small amount of water and 2 mins of time is all that’s required.
4. Thou SHALL CARRY cloth bags / jute bags / Old plastic bags when you go for shopping and shall avoid buying new plastic bags.
5. Thou SHALL walk close distances or cycle if you can and avoid taking out the car especially for shorter distances.
6. Thou SHALL try and maximize the use of public transport or METRO or company provided transport as applicable.
7. Thou SHALL segregate waste i.e. separate bio-degradable and plastic/paper/cardboard waste. The latter waste can be recycled and what’s more you get paid for the same.
8. Thou SHALL maximize the use of LED bulbs and avoid older bulbs to the maximum possible extent.
9. Thou SHALL buy appliances with good power rating with minimal impact on environment
10. Thou SHALL pass on this message or add to the same..
Happy World Environment Day !!!